The Impatient Gardener: Guest post: You can build it, really!

17 May 2010

Guest post: You can build it, really!

I'm so excited to be swapping guest posts with Rayan at The Frugal Designer today. Rayan is a mega overachiever who can help you build the most amazing furniture, finish that furniture (wait until you see my kitchen table, which Rayan has been holding my hand through the process of finishing), help solve your garden or home design dilemnas and more. And she does it all with a 2-year-old in tow!

If you love this plan, make sure you check out her other plans (my favorite is this potting bench) and leave a comment here about what you think!

And now ... heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere's Rayan!

Header2-n-4


Hi Friends!  Rayan, the Frugal Designer here!  So excited to be with you all today and participating in this Blog Swap with my girl Erin!  Hope you like my post below and that you will come visit me at my site some time soon!  I would love to have you all, cuz if you are her readers...you must be fabulous!

Build it plans

This is the 4th piece in a 4 Piece Series that we will complete for
our Mod Sectional.  This is the Left Hand unit and can also be used alone
as singular seating or as part of the Modular Sectional we will be
working on.

This collection is inspired by the images below along with my 2x2
Collection.  It is something of a combination of both.

For plans to the other pieces in this group click the Mod Sectional Tab below.

Mod sectional





Img43m
Img18l

Img52l
Img64l

Mod sectional

Straight cush

Group



Materials

3" Screws - Galvanized or
Stainless is best for outdoor use

2" Screws - Galvanized or
Stainless is best for outdoor use

Wood Glue

Wood Filler  or a Paintable Silicone if you prefer

Sandpaper

Finishing Supplies

Wood:

2 - 2x3 @ 10'

4 - 1x3 @ 10'

1 - 1x3 @ 6'
Tools



Tape
Measure

Square

Sander

Saw

Drill

Cut list

4 - 2x3 @ 27 1/2" (Legs)

1 - 2x3 @ 25" (Back Rest)

1 - 2x3 @ 14 1/2" (Leg)

1 - 2x3 @ 22" (Cross Bar)

1 - 2x3 @ 31" (Left Arm)

2 - 1x3 @ 26" (Frame)

3 - 1x3 @ 27" (Frame and left seat perimeter)

3 - 1x3 @ 25 1/2" (Supports)

1 - 1x3 @ 22" (Back Perimeter)

11 - 1x3 @ 22 1/2" (Front Perimeter and Seat Slats)

1 - 1x3 @ 28 1/2" (Right Perimeter)

Instructions



**Always Pre-Drill and Counter Sink for the most
professional appearance. Check for Square after EACH step.  It will
really matter in this project.   Adhere to all safety standards and
guidelines.  


**For outdoor use, choose rot resistant and
weather tolerable wood such as Cedar, Redwood, and Teak.  You would be
well suited to pre-drill, sand, and finish each board before assembling
to ensure complete protection and a lasting finish. 


1  Cut the Legs to size and attach the Cross Bar (Blue) between the 2 Back Legs and the horizontal leg piece (red) to the back Left Leg: Use 3" Screws, fast the Cross Bar first then and for the Leg Piece fasten from what would be the inside of the vertically standing leg .  Notice how the front Legs are standing horizontally and the back legs are standing vertically.


Step 1
2  Build the Frame: Use 2" Screws



Frame


3  Attach the Frame to the Legs: Use 2" Screws, fasten from the inside where possible and the frame should be flush with the top of the shorter Front Right Leg and the Cross Bar.

Leave about 1/2" on each side between the edge of the frame and the outside edges of the legs (the frame is smaller than the outside dimensions of the Legs as shown in the first image).

Step 2
4  Attach the Seat Perimeter: Use 2" Screws and place as shown in the diagram.

** Notice that each perimeter piece is a different length.  The Left piece (light blue) should be flush with the outside edges of the left legs.  The Front piece (green) should be flush with the front edge of both front legs.  The Right piece (dark blue) should be flush with the front edge of the front right leg and with the right outside edge of the right legs.  The Back piece should essentially sit on top of the Cross Bar and is flush with the back legs.

Step 3
5  Attach the Seat Slats: Use 2" Screws and fasten to the Supports in the frame.  Space the first several 1/4" apart and from the front and back perimeter pieces.  The center slats will be 1/2" apart as shown in the diagram.


Step 4

6  Attach the Left Arm and the Back Rest: Use 3" Screws



Step 6


7 Fill any Screw Holes, touch up as needed, add cushions (if you want) and enjoy!




Final Angle LEft




Straight cush







I hope you have enjoyed this post!  Thanks letting me visit with you all, hope to see you soon!

For finishing tips and tutorials see my

Finishing school



Finishing school




In return for providing this plan for you, I would greatly
appreciate
you sharing your experiences with everyone as well as sending in
pictures of what you build so that I can show it off!


Join my Flikr Group: 
http://www.flikr.com/groups/FrugalDesignerSS





**Disclaimer: Some rights reserved. Private use only. Plans from this
page are not to be used for commercial purposes or republished without
the express written consent of Rayan Turner, The Frugal Designer.

I hope to provide accurate plans, however, I cannot guarantee each plan
for accuracy. Not every plan that I post has been built and tested, so
you are building at your own risk. It
is recommended that you have a clear understanding of how the project
will fit together and how it works before beginning any project. Please
contact me if you find an error or inaccuracy so that I might fix it.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Jenny said...

Wow, what a cool idea! I'm not sure I'm ready to take on a project like that but just the idea that I COULD if I wanted to is pretty amazing. I'm off to go check out the other designs on your blog now.

May 17, 2010 at 12:22 PM  
Blogger Angie said...

Morning Rayan, I feel like it's been forever since I talked to you! Funny since really I only missed out yesterday! This is def one I will be tackling after the Hill O' Dread is taken care of! ;) Going to check out the rest of Erin's blog now! Chat with ya later!

May 17, 2010 at 2:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rayan!

That looks beautiful!

May 17, 2010 at 8:08 PM  
Blogger Sommer said...

Rayan I'm DYING to do this project! Now if I could just find someone to donate the wood lol.

May 17, 2010 at 9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I appreciate it. I try to respond to comments here or sometimes via email so make sure to check back.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home