The Impatient Gardener: A sweet treat, just not for me

22 November 2013

A sweet treat, just not for me

Some gardeners are much better than I am about planting late-season crops. A friend on Facebook just posted a beautiful haul of beets the other day. I am just burned out by the end of the summer and I consider it a success if I can just stay on top of harvesting and general maintenance. Planting, and more importantly, nursing seedlings along in their early days is just not going to happen.

But I've been judiciously using my kale so that it would extend into late fall. Kale, like many of its cruciferous breathren, gets even better when the weather turns cool and it takes on a sweety, nutty flavor. In fact I've been planning a dinner in which my favorite kale salad is featured.

So imagine my surprise when I went out to the garden this morning and found my formerly lush kale bed looking like a stripped forest.


All that is left are the thick stalks, but every leafy bit has been nibbled off. The culprits are not difficult to finger. It is, of course, our healthy herd of neighborhood deer who apparently also know that kale peaks in cool weather.

I'm sure they enjoyed every sweet morsel of that kale. But I might have recommended a bit of parmesan and maybe a few toasted pine nuts to go with it.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Oh no!!! Those darn critters! And what's that white stuff? We don't have any YET

November 22, 2013 at 3:15 PM  
Blogger Erin @ The Impatient Gardener said...

I know! I wasn't expecting that when I woke up this morning. This is the second snowfall for us. Nothing major yet, of course, but a bit of a wake up call all the same.

November 22, 2013 at 3:45 PM  
Blogger My Garden Diaries said...

AHHH Those buggers!!! They sure know how to go after the good stuff! It looks like it was a beautiful crop!!! Thanks for popping on by my blog today! I'm looking forward to following along with you on your journey!!!

November 22, 2013 at 8:55 PM  
Anonymous Heather @ new house, new home said...

Our forecast this morning is for 4-6" by tonight!!!

November 23, 2013 at 6:18 AM  
Blogger Kylee Baumle said...

Oh no!! I feel so bad for you! I'm not very good at late season crops either. Usually, they don't work for me. Spinach and lettuce, yes, but that's about it. We did have some fall beets this year, but I'll be honest - I was shocked. And they still didn't do as well as spring ones normally do. (This year, the spring beets didn't do squat, for whatever reason!)

November 23, 2013 at 9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I appreciate it. I try to respond to comments here or sometimes via email so make sure to check back.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home