The Impatient Gardener: FRIDAY FINDS

18 March 2016

FRIDAY FINDS

The other night I had a dream that I was in a nursery buying potting mix, except it wasn't called potting mix, it was called compost. And I spent a great deal of time trying to figure out if I wanted  ericaceous compost or not. But here's the thing: Calling potting mix compost is not common in the U.S., and as far as I know, neither is calling acid-rich soil ericaceous. All of which means that I have been watching way too much British gardening television.

I looked around the yard last night and I think it may be safe to start doing some light garden cleanup. It is certainly time to finish up pruning hydrangeas and clematis.

I hope to have a seed-related post that I've been working on for a bit up later today, but in the meantime, let's get to some Friday Finds.


Thinking Outside the Boxwood image

It is no secret that I have a thing for espaliered trees. This is a great article on how to train them that I really hope to be able to put into good use one of these days.


Here are some excellent tips on organizing a seed swap.


Garden Therapy coloring book
Are you into adult coloring books? They are super hot right now and I can see the appeal. Here's one that's perfect for gardeners.

I am envious of gorgeous laundry rooms. I can't imagine why; I do not like doing laundry and I doubt having a great room to do it in would make me like it much more, but there is something very calming about the idea of a beautiful space for a pretty lousy job.

I really like benches. I think they are very handy to have around for overflow seating and can provide a seating area in a room without visually taking up too much space. I'm looking for an upholstered bench for the office, which is feeling off balance because of the furniture layout in there. One of these might do the trick. 

What's on your list for the weekend? Mr. Much More Patient is out of town so I'm hoping to cross off all kind of lingering projects from the list. Among them are repainting the kitchen (it needs a paint job anyway and I'm thinking of changing the color just slightly), cleaning windows, touching up some paint here and there, giving at least one but hopefully both dogs baths and getting a menu together for Easter, which we'll be having at our house. It is no coincidence that we ended up with the "easy" holiday at our house. I'm not a great hostess so I like a holiday with less pressure.



Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger LINDA from Each Little World said...

I like the My Domain laundry room because it has a window. That would really up the enjoyment factor. In my next life I will be having hedges, topiary and espalied trees! I hate these coloring books. Haven't we spent our adulthood learning to color OUTside the lines?

March 18, 2016 at 4:23 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I hate those colouring books too! I got one for Christmas and after about 10 minutes, put it down and haven't picked it up again - sent it to a donation drop for someone less creative to enjoy. Glad I'm not alone.

March 19, 2016 at 8:10 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I took advantage of the nice weather and raked out the gardens of dead foliage and wandering leaves, cut back the clematis and thinned out a small Japanese maple which was starting to look tangled. This weekend it's supposed to be cold here, so I'm painting our bedroom.
I miss seeing the British gardening shows - YouTube seems to have blocked them. Guess I need a U.K. VPN number.

March 19, 2016 at 8:13 AM  

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I appreciate it. I try to respond to comments here or sometimes via email so make sure to check back.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home