The Impatient Gardener: MAIL ORDER PLANTS REVIEW: JOY CREEK NURSERY

18 May 2016

MAIL ORDER PLANTS REVIEW: JOY CREEK NURSERY

Another mail order nursery review today but before we get to that, I wanted to share a couple photos of the serviceberry tree in bloom. the flowers are really only at peak for a day or two max so I take a photo of it every year. It's rather amazing to me that this tree was a gift from my mother-in-law the second year we had our house, which I think would make it 13 years ago.



The featured nursery today is Joy Creek Nursery, which was another place I'd not ordered from before. They are a small operation, which is the kind of place I prefer to order from when I'm looking for specialty plants like clematis. I've had great success with Silver Star Vinery in the past, but I got there too late this year and the plants I was interested in were sold out.

Joy Creek is apparently so small that they don't have a deal with the big shipping companies, so they charge you actual shipping plus a $4 handling and packing fee. They clearly stated this on their website and I emailed them ahead of time for an estimate for shipping which was close to right on. In the end, shipping was $33 plus the handling fee, so about the same as the cost of the plants.


The packing material on this one was newspapers and other recyclable material including a church bulletin. I love this kind of packing because it's such an insight into where your plants come from. It's a bit of a pain to recycle when it's all crumpled up but that is really picking a nit.

I ordered two clematis that came in gallon-sized pots and as I've come to learn about clematis, the most important thing is an abundance of telltale yellow roots coming out of the bottom of the pots, which these certainly had. In fact, when you get a small clematis, you are really supposed to put it in a container and grow it out there for a year or so until those roots come jumping out.


I was thrilled with the plants: 'Prince Charles' and 'Vinosa Violacea.' Both have been planted and are looking good.





Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger LINDA from Each Little World said...

I've never ordered from them. Those are beautiful looking plants. We killed two Serviceberries!! I always wanted one ever since I saw Edward Steichan's photo series of them as an art student.

May 19, 2016 at 9:07 AM  
Blogger Lisa at Greenbow said...

My serviceberry is a grower and a bloomer. Wonderful. I wish you luck.

May 19, 2016 at 4:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Good tip about the clematis roots!! I never knew that.
Love the service berry - don't have one and every time I see one in bloom I wonder why.

May 20, 2016 at 6:51 AM  
Anonymous Jason said...

Wow, your Serviceberries are spectacular! Now I'm kind of embarrassed by mine.

May 24, 2016 at 11:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I appreciate it. I try to respond to comments here or sometimes via email so make sure to check back.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home