The Impatient Gardener: MY SWEET PEA ORDER

25 January 2017

MY SWEET PEA ORDER

Dear me. It's still a good four months before I have a hope of planting anything, but I'm very much behind on making a plan for what I will grow from seed this year. I need to start by going through what I already have and that will require riffling through boxes and Ziploc  bags and generally realizing that my "organizational system" is lacking.

There's still some question about what vegetables and flowers I'll grow this year, but there is no doubt that I'll be growing sweet peas, so earlier this week I at least finished up with that order.

A bouquet of sweet pea blooms from my 2015 garden. The scent was absolutely heavenly.

Of course I ordered too many. How can a gardener possibly choose? Plus, I enjoy giving spares away to good homes. A sweet pea charity if you will. The past two years I've bought a mix of heirlooms and spencer varieties to make sure that I had the scent from the heirlooms but the more showy flowers of the spencers. This year I bought mostly spencers but focused on varieties said to have good scent. There is no point whatsoever to growing a sweet pea if it doesn't smell like a sweet pea, in my mind.

Here's this year order.

I ordered the majority of them from Owl's Acre Seed, a British company whose seed I had great success with two years ago. Whether it was just a better year for them than last year, or the seed really is better I can't say but I'm hedging my bets and going back to what worked better for me. Plus, they have a better selection than a lot of seed providers in the U.S.

Noel Sutton

Owl's Acre Seed photo

I have a weakness for sweet peas in general but show me anything in the blue family and I go all weak in the knees. I love setting them off with pink  and white. Noel Sutton appears to have a blue-turning-pink type of thing going on. And it is said to have great fragrance.

Erewhon

Owl's Acre Seed photo

I grew Erewhon two years ago and it is the best sweet pea I've grown. A bi-color pink and blue. Obviously a winner in my book.

Unique

Owl's Acre Seed photo

I like a sky blue sweet pea to go with those deep blue and purple flowers so this one caught my eye. It's said to be smaller growing and therefore good in a container so having that option attracted me to it. This is an heirloom variety so I would expect that what it lacks in long, cuttable stems it will make up for in scent and an abundance of flowers.

Anniversary

Owl's Acre Seed photo

I wanted a white sweet pea to mix in with this bunch and this one with pink edges caught my eye. I grew Mollie Rilstone last year and was underwhelmed by it so I hope this wasn't a mistake. Anniversary sounds like it will be excellent as a cut flower, which is my favorite thing to do with them.

Beaujolais

Owl's Acre Seed photo

After all that same old-same old I was feeling like I should at least try something different and this wine beauty caught my eye. The fact that it said it has excellent fragrance sealed the deal.

Spanish Dancer

Owl's Acre Seed photo

I like to mix different varieties of sweet peas on the same support so I needed to find a friend for Beaujolais and I thought the deep pink tone on the tri-color Spanish Dancer would tie in well. I'm the most nervous about this choice because it will be beautiful if it looks like the picture but I've seen this same color combination look completely muddy in other flowers.

This last variety came from Floret Flowers. I was picking up a couple other seeds there and this sweet pea (which is also offered at Owl's Acre but is sold out) came along for the ride.

Valerie Harrod

Floret Flower photo

I'm definitely on a coral and salmon kick when it comes to flowers and this punchy pea caught my eye. The folks at Owl's Acre call this one of their favorites, and that's good enough for me.


SaveSave

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Lisa at Greenbow said...

I used to have a coral rose that had the most wonderful fragrance. I wish I could remember what the name of it was...hmmmmm The Coral sweet pea reminded me of it. America ??something I think...hmmm I love seeing all of these sweet peas. I always want them but they burn up in our dry hot summers. They are almost like spring ephemerals for me.

January 25, 2017 at 3:53 AM  
Blogger Erin @ The Impatient Gardener said...

Yes, that's the problem with them ... they just peeter out in extended heat. That's why I'm always a little cautious about using them in containers because they fry.

January 25, 2017 at 11:42 AM  
Blogger LINDA from Each Little World said...

Too gorgeous. Does it stay cooler near you because of the lake?

January 25, 2017 at 7:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you ever read the blog "the art of doing stuff"? She had a post a few days ago about organizing seeds. It's a bit labor intensive, but probably easy once the setup is done. http://www.theartofdoingstuff.com/seed-storage/

January 26, 2017 at 7:21 AM  
Blogger Woodside Park said...

Stop teasing! I love sweet peas but they do not love the DC climate. Maybe I'll try them up in Maine.

February 2, 2017 at 12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I appreciate it. I try to respond to comments here or sometimes via email so make sure to check back.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home