The Impatient Gardener: 157 ... and counting

30 May 2009

157 ... and counting

The scene of the crime. And this isn't even all of them!

Do they offer plantaholic 12-step programs? I'm seriously thinking I may need to find one. Noticing that my "holding area" (formerly the pit of despair, but somewhat spruced up) is getting a little tight, I took a count of the plants I need to plant. And the total was somewhat astonishing: 157. That's perennials, herbs and veggies that I intend to get in the ground in the very near future. That does not count annuals (of which I've got hordes, but they don't count because um ... well, I have no good reason other than that it would make the total embarassingly high—which is not to say that 157 hasn't already achieved that mark) or tree starts from our various maples that I intend to just keep growing out in pots until such time as we know where we want to put them and they are big enough to survive there.

Does anyone else have this issue? I sincerely hope so because this definitely feels like an addiction.

These are just some of the hostas waiting to go in the ground. The blame for these lies entirely with Pam at Gardening with Queenie. She's a hosta addict and she willingly shares the addiction! Last I heard she's got 930 varieties and is pushing for 1,000 by the end of summer. Go Pam!

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Helen said...

My sister and I are both plantaholics. The other day, when our garden budgets had already been spent, and then some, we passed a really good garden centre. Should we go in? Why not, we said -- one little look can't hurt. It's just one little look...

May 30, 2009 at 11:44 AM  
Blogger Erin @ The Impatient Gardener said...

But the big question, Helen, is ... did you JUST look, or did you buy? And what's that word you used there ... b-u-d-g-e-t? I'll have to look that one up!

May 30, 2009 at 2:38 PM  
Blogger bart said...

I have 200 or so vegetables waiting in my holding area 20 or so are punpkins . I started with a 30' by 60' tilled area and I'm up to 120' x 30' garden. I bought my seeds in bulk this year so I have enough seeds to go out another 100 ft into my hay field.

May 30, 2009 at 8:22 PM  
Blogger Erin @ The Impatient Gardener said...

Holy smokes, Bart. You win! Good luck getting all those in the ground. That sounds like some garden you have!

May 30, 2009 at 9:39 PM  
Blogger Stacy said...

I have it bad. I was making some significant progress on finally getting it all in ground this week, when suddenly, today, I found myself in yet another nursery. The white eggplant, the cool color in new bee balm, candy corn vine, varigated veronica? Come on, who can resist that kind of temptation?? ; )

May 30, 2009 at 9:54 PM  
Blogger Erin @ The Impatient Gardener said...

You're right, Stacy. It's not really our fault. It's the fault of the nurseries.

What I find sort of funny is that in the beginning of the season when it's all about cleaning up in the garden all I want to do is plant. And now, when I should be planting, I refuse to allow myself to have that joy because I feel like I should be required to weed first. It's kind of sick, actually.

May 31, 2009 at 7:51 AM  

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I appreciate it. I try to respond to comments here or sometimes via email so make sure to check back.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home