The Impatient Gardener: FEATURE FRIDAY: GARDEN ORNAMENTS

11 April 2014

FEATURE FRIDAY: GARDEN ORNAMENTS

I love garden ornaments and sculpture. The right piece in the right place adds another dimension to a garden. There's a place for serious sculpture and whimsical ornaments in any garden, but I think the key is to know when to stop. Nothing makes a garden look a little bit like a junk yard with plants growing in it faster than too much stuff laying around in it. Ornaments should always compliment the plants, not the other way around.

I love using driftwood in my garden and I have a collection of interesting pieces that some day I'd like to turn into something. The problem is, I don't know what that is.

But I'm also adding a little something to the garden hopefully this weekend that I hope will say "sculpture" and not "random junk from the side of the road" when it's finished. I'm not even going to tell you about it yet because I really have no idea how this is going to go.

In the meantime, I thought we'd look at some great garden ornaments for a bit of inspiration this spring Friday.

I think this is a great example of the plantings and the sculpture being perfect for one another.


This one is just downright cool. In the comments on this photo, several people asked how you make such a sphere but the artist isn't saying.


I like this cow. I once saw a concrete pig (almost life sized) in a garden and I've been somewhat infatuated with concrete pigs ever since. And no, I'm not adding a pig to my garden (not this weekend anyway).


This falls in the creepy-but-cool category for me.


How can you not love this gravity-defying sculpture?



While I'm not sure I love the sculpture itself (I'm a bit concerned about this women's head), I love the siting of it. Something so modern and geometric in a woodsy area is so interesting.




What's your favorite kind of garden ornament?


Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Jenny said...

I'd certainly go down the more modern route than a classic italian something. I love the ball of pebbles and the gravity defying stones. Having said that I really like the top picture - it just sits so nicely so I think it really is the right thing in the right place.

April 11, 2014 at 9:20 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Erin,
Love your blog. I also live in Wisconsin, Cedarburg. What a brutal winter. We have so much damage to evergreens in our garden. Thankfully, the weather is improving and we will be able to spend our days outside again.

Karen

April 12, 2014 at 6:19 AM  
Blogger Libby said...

Somehow I missed this post…
We love our "stone egg", finished a year ago! http://www.libbywilkiedesigns.com/2013/05/friday-flowers-our-new-stone-egg.html
It's just enough to add interest and make people stop, but not overpowering or strange in any way!!!

April 19, 2014 at 4:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Using garden statues and stone plays important role in garden decoration and designing, specially those who love statues and ornaments they can use it as that right place and right direction. Thanks for sharing clearly in this short blog. http://www.gardensculpturesandornaments.co.uk

July 8, 2016 at 4:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I appreciate it. I try to respond to comments here or sometimes via email so make sure to check back.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home