The Impatient Gardener: FRIDAY FINDS

15 September 2017

FRIDAY FINDS

It's been a busy late summer so I haven't spent as much time on the internet as I might have otherwise and therefore there wasn't a lot of finds to share with you, but this week there's some can't miss stuff I want to share.

First off, don't miss the most charming little garden and plant show in Belgium, compliments of Rob from Detroit Garden Works. He's on a buying trip which means soon there will be pictures of all his amazing finds. What I wouldn't give to tagalong on that trip!

Nick at Thinking Outside the Boxwood shared some amazing containers he came across recently in Boston. Lots of good container inspiration to be had.


Speaking of containers, I shared some out-of-the-box ideas for fall containers on the Proven Beauty blog last weekend. Don't tell anyone, but I'm a little sick of mums and kale with a pumpkin jammed in. One never knows what the weather will bring but last year we didn't get a killing frost until mid-November. If that were to happen again, I'd get two and a half months out of new fall-planted containers and that's well worth it to me.

Garden Bloggers Bloom Day is always fun to see, and I urge you to check out Lisa's contribution at Greenbow Gardens. Her 'Fireworks' Solidago (aka goldenrod) is outstanding. I wish more people would appreciate that plant. Check out all the linked gardens at host May Dreams Gardens.

I haven't said anything about the impact of the hurricanes on The Impatient Gardener blog or social media channels, not because I don't care, but because I like to think of this as a place people can escape the worst of what is going on in the world. The devastation from both Harvey and Irma is terrible to see, and I'm particularly heartbroken to see what happened in parts of the Caribbean, which have far fewer resources helping than in the U.S. But this story about the damage to the Naples Botanical Garden is sad. I go there almost every year when I'm in Naples visiting family (who are fine, thankfully) so I'm sad to see what happened there.


But I don't want to leave on a sad note. Tanya at Lovely Greens (that's her above) has a great post chock-a-block with fall gardening tips and inspiration, so do check it out.

The weather here is for summer this weekend you know I'm excited about that! I'll be soaking up the sun on land and water, with some time in my garden and maybe a few others. What are you up to this weekend?


Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger LINDA from Each Little World said...

I am ripping out things like a mad woman and have decided to leave a couple of big holes until spring. I can't quite decide what I want to do and at this stage everything is so huge it is hard to work. So I am just watering, deadheading and trying to get ahead on fall chores. My garden looks pretty ratty as I should have started watering much easier than I did. This dryness has lots of things looking stressed. Plus temps in the 80s. But not really complaining about those. Two nice posts today from you. Enjoyed them both.

September 15, 2017 at 2:17 PM  
Anonymous Misti said...

I had forgotten about the Naples Botanic Garden. I had been worried about Fairchild when it was in direct impact at one point in time. What a mess that is over there. I have a lot of friends in Florida with varying levels of damage. Ugh.

September 15, 2017 at 4:32 PM  
Blogger Lisa at Greenbow said...

Thanks for the link love Erin. I always look forward to net finds. You look at so many different things and I find them either useful, interesting or entertaining. I will be looking at those pots. I too am tired of the pumpkin/kale variety of fall pots. Have a good weekend.

September 15, 2017 at 7:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I appreciate it. I try to respond to comments here or sometimes via email so make sure to check back.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home