The Impatient Gardener: From buffet to bookcase

28 November 2009

From buffet to bookcase

So here's the story. About three years ago I saw a note on Freecycle about a Crate & Barrel buffet up for grabs. I hopped right on that and picked it up. It was one of those assemble yourself pieces and obviously not a lot of care had been taken in assembling it. On top of that, one of the drawer pulls was broken off, a door had fallen off and its back was separating from its front. I dragged it home and stuck it in the garage.

And that's exactly where it proceeded to live for the next three years. In fact I routinely ran into it with my car when I wasn't paying attention (don't laugh, I also once tried to back up with the garage door still closed, so anything is possible).

About a month ago we were enjoying an unseasonably beautiful day and I was sanding some furniture outside (the subject of another upcoming before and after). Things were going so well that I thought it was high time to pull out that buffet and see if it was salvageable. So I gave it a good sanding (down to the MDF), removed the one door that was still attached, and set to work recreating it as a bookcase.




It took me two tries on the color. First I used Benjamin Moore Waterfall, but it was sort of a bad baby blue, so I did the second coat (after first priming with an oil-based primer) with BM Peacock. I snagged a couple of aged copper drawer pulls from the local True Value, and now it's a nice accent in our office/den-type room, which I plan to do with accents of turquoise and orange.

My husband, who is a perfectionist when it comes to painting (and particularly varnishing), was nice enough to point out that it had a couple of "holidays" (apparently that's what drips are called because you were obviously on a "holiday" while painting, or something like that), but I think I can handle that, especially since I know have a colorful bookcase instead of a ramming board for my car.

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Remington said...

I love it! You are so creative....

November 29, 2009 at 12:41 PM  
Anonymous Maya @ Completely Coastal said...

It looks awesome!

November 30, 2009 at 10:32 AM  
Anonymous Genevieve said...

Erin, that is freaking gorgeous. I am so jealous!! I'm now looking around and wondering what furniture I can give a coat of paint... and a new lease on life!

And I have to say I am glad I live in such a mild climate where I don't have to park in the garage, because I get laughed at all the time by my landscaper buddies for my poor spatial sense when driving. I don't usually hit stuff, but I come close!

December 7, 2009 at 11:12 PM  
Blogger The Book Addict said...

Wow it is so gorgeous! I'm jealous!

December 9, 2009 at 6:37 PM  
Blogger gail@My Repurposed Life said...

wow! great new look!
gail

December 9, 2009 at 7:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw this on Better After - it looks great! And I love the color!

January 27, 2010 at 9:59 AM  
Blogger Low Tide High Style said...

I found you through Better After and just wanted to say that I love the idea of turning a buffet into a bookcase...genius! I also love the color!

Kat :)

January 27, 2010 at 1:08 PM  
Blogger KellyH said...

Great Job! Love the color!

January 27, 2010 at 6:57 PM  
Blogger micah said...

I LOVE that color! Fabulous!

February 3, 2010 at 5:18 PM  
Blogger gail@My Repurposed Life said...

super job, I love the color.
gail

August 8, 2010 at 3:57 PM  
Blogger the cape on the corner said...

love the color you chose for it! great job! stopping over from mustard seed creations.

August 10, 2010 at 1:19 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

Love the color and I can so relate to the delay in getting around to this! I always say there is a right time for all things. Great job :)

January 5, 2013 at 9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I appreciate it. I try to respond to comments here or sometimes via email so make sure to check back.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home