The Impatient Gardener: The woods comes alive

31 May 2009

The woods comes alive

It always amazes me how quickly the wooded area of our property is taken over by Ostrich ferns.

May 8



May 14


May 31 (pay no attention to the path of inflourescence-looking stuff. I spread some DE the day before. Oh and yeah ... all that stuff in the foreground is garlic mustard weed that must be pulled ASAP.)


All those Ostrich ferns and would you believe I've never eaten fiddleheads? By the time I remember to try them the ferns are too big. When I walk through them many are eye level.

The ferns are beautiful if not a tad aggressive, but for the most part I let them go where they want. When they pop up in the lawn they just get mowed with the rest of it.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, this picture cinched it for me! I spent a few years in the NorthWest, and love, love, loved the ferns that were everywhere. Now that I've found myself in Michigan, I'd been wanting to recreate a bit of that green, green ferny NW feeling. Have had a patch of garden all saved for it, but could not get straight which ferns I needed. Thanks for the help!

May 17, 2013 at 12:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I appreciate it. I try to respond to comments here or sometimes via email so make sure to check back.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home