The Impatient Gardener: Oh for a watering wand that doesn't leak!

03 June 2009

Oh for a watering wand that doesn't leak!


Welcome to my biggest of all gardening pet peeves: Leaky hose nozzles. I'm so irritated with having water dripping down my air every time I try to water. Every year I buy one or more new nozzles in hope of finding the holy grail of watering wands.

I'm not asking for a lot. I just want something I can stick on the end of the hose that has at least full, shower and soaker settings. A mist setting would be a great bonus. I want it to last a full summer without sending water shooting up my sleeve. I prefer the mid-length (about 12 to 16 inches long) but I'm flexible.

I bought a new nozzle/wand thing two weeks ago. Maybe three. It was $15.99 and promised a lot. First of all, the mist setting does not work. Unless it is misting microscopically and I can't see it. Then the little clip that locks the handle down fell off. This will not do, because I like to set it on soaker and leave it for a bit to deeply water new plants. Then yesterday it started leaking like crazy. I tried a new gasket in it and that didn't help either. And it shouldn't be the gasket anyway. THREE weeks! For crying out loud, how ridiculous.

I would pay a lot of money for some sort of watering apparatus that actually worked properly and lasted a few years. Does anyone know of such a holy grail of watering?

5 Comments:

Blogger Dirt Princess said...

ughh I have the same problem, but more issues. I like the type I can rotate to different settings like shower, full, etc. I find that after less than a year, the rotating piece breaks. I also have a problem with the nozzle attaching itself to the hose, its like its rusts on too it!!!!!! Or the water leaks out like yours...maybe we should get together and design the perfect garden sprayer

June 3, 2009 at 1:59 PM  
Blogger Erin @ The Impatient Gardener said...

I'm totally up for that, Dirt Princess! I just don't understand why this is so hard. I have to think there are a lot of gardeners out there who'd be more than happy to pay a little more for something that might actually work.

June 3, 2009 at 3:08 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

Hi, there -- it's hard to find a good wand sprinkler. But I've had better luck with leaks just replacing the washer between the hose and the wand from time to time. Here's a cheap and cheerful example I've used from Lee Valley Tools:

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=1&p=10377&cat=2,2280,33160&ap=3

Might be an inexpensive fix worth trying.

June 3, 2009 at 4:41 PM  
Blogger Erin @ The Impatient Gardener said...

Excellent idea, Helen. I'm wondering if I haven't been buying plastic ones, and that's the issue. I'll give anything a try at this point!

June 3, 2009 at 4:58 PM  
Anonymous pressure washer hose said...

Oh' I also have a watering wand but it has a leakage and i hate using it. Glad that i saw this post. I will try to use that one. Keep posting.

-seff-

October 26, 2010 at 8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I appreciate it. I try to respond to comments here or sometimes via email so make sure to check back.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home