The Impatient Gardener: You're no friend of mine

08 July 2013

You're no friend of mine

Well, the friend or foe mystery is, I guess, solved. The mystery plant has bloomed and it's not one I'm familiar with.



It has these insignificant maroon-colored, cup-shaped flowers and, well, that's about it.

I STILL haven't dug it out of the garden but I blame that more on running out of time to do everything this weekend than anything else. Still, I guess it's time for it to go.

By the way, I still have not been able to identify is, so if you recognize this weed/plant, I'd love to know what you think it is.

Here are the defining characteristics:

  • 4-5 feet tall
  • Toothed leaves, set opposite one another
  • Square stem
  • Insignificant maroon flowers
 That's about all I can tell you. Now, my shovel and I have a date with a few mystery plants.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Katie @ Team Skelley said...

I have no idea what that is, but it is creeping me out. :)

July 8, 2013 at 4:50 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Still a mystery to me too! Never seen anything like it. You could post it to Hometalk - there are a lot of great gardeners on there who regularly answer these types of questions.

July 8, 2013 at 4:54 PM  
Blogger MadAnne said...

I had two of these this year. They were on opposite sides of the house. I thought it was odd not to have more.

July 9, 2013 at 6:46 AM  
Blogger Carol Y said...

I think it is a Bee Plant. I found this link for wildflower identification and I scrolled down to where it indicated Flowers Pink to Rose to Red. I think this may help. Let me know if you agree - http://www.friendsofhercules.org/wildflowers.htm

July 9, 2013 at 7:27 PM  
Blogger Erin @ The Impatient Gardener said...

Ding, ding, ding! Carol you have to be correct! The description and images are right on. Thank you so much!

July 10, 2013 at 1:49 AM  
Blogger Carol Y said...

You are quite welcome! Glad I could help.

July 10, 2013 at 5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I appreciate it. I try to respond to comments here or sometimes via email so make sure to check back.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home