The Impatient Gardener: A MOST LOVELY GARDEN SURPRISE

26 January 2015

A MOST LOVELY GARDEN SURPRISE

Rarely do I have occasion to see my neighbors' yards in daylight these days. On weekdays most dog walks happen at dusk or later and on weekends we head to the beach whenever possible. So it was a most pleasant surprise when I spotted something surprising in a neighbor's yard when stiff winter winds forced us to walk on the road this weekend.

I'm not sure I would have even spotted this gem had I not glanced in the direction one of the dogs was detouring toward, but it caught the corner of my eye.

Do you see it?


How about now?


It's a small tree that has been spray-painted acid green (the same color, I think, as my obelisk). I don't know anything about this tree, whether it's dead or alive (I can't think spray paint is good for a living tree, but I'll keep a close eye on it in spring), or who meticulously painted every bit of it.

It's not in a particularly important part of their yard, which was massively re-landscaped a few years ago, but that's what I love about it. It's a little surprise in an area that would be otherwise overlooked.

I love it so much that I'm going to keep an eye out for a dead little tree in our woods that I could do the same thing to.


 What do think about spray-painting trees? Love it or leave it?



Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Garden Fancy said...

How bizarre! I've never seen anything like it. Are you sure it's been spray painted?

January 26, 2015 at 6:45 PM  
Blogger Stephen Andrew said...

Love it. I'll have to dig through my photo archive and find my red trees. I cut two buckeye trees down (surprise-they grow like weeds here in te buckeye state) and spray painted them red and stuck them in pots by my front door. Ioved them so much. If your acid green is Kryolan, I have a mirror painted that exact color!

January 26, 2015 at 10:04 PM  
Blogger LINDA from Each Little World said...

I remember a UK garden photog painted a fairly large dead tree a bright blue. I thought it was fabulous and always thought about trying it when we lost trees.

January 26, 2015 at 10:40 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It's a great way to keep a nice structured tree like this one if it should be dead. If it's alive, I'm not sure what the purpose is other than to create a bright spot in the woods.

January 27, 2015 at 7:19 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

In the dead of winter a "green" tree appeals to me in an artful sort of way. In spring and summer however, it wouldn't work nearly as well and would seem artificial.
I see you like British gardening shows as much as I do. You have a few that I have yet to see and will definitely watch. There is one good series that you don't have. I've forgotten the series name, but will try to remember to put a link up on my blog in the next week.

January 28, 2015 at 6:53 AM  
Blogger Erin @ The Impatient Gardener said...

I'm pretty positive. It's the same color throughout.

January 28, 2015 at 9:53 AM  
Blogger Erin @ The Impatient Gardener said...

I'd love to see them! And yep, that's the paint.

January 28, 2015 at 9:53 AM  
Blogger Erin @ The Impatient Gardener said...

I think I like the idea of bright blue even more than acid green. There is something so intentionally whimsical about painting it a completely different color than you would normally associate with a tree.

January 28, 2015 at 9:54 AM  
Blogger Erin @ The Impatient Gardener said...

I'm really anxious to find out what its status is. If I see my neighbor before spring I'll have to ask her about it.

January 28, 2015 at 9:54 AM  
Blogger Erin @ The Impatient Gardener said...

Well you have a point there. I'm looking forward to watching this area of their yard and seeing how the effect changes with the seasons. And yes, please, I'm always desperate for new British gardening shows, so if there's one I haven't found yet, please let me know about it! I'll keep an eye on your blog.

January 28, 2015 at 9:55 AM  
Blogger Libby said...

I love it love it love it!!! What a great idea. I am thinking about what else could be done. Oh Erin, it's wonderful!

January 28, 2015 at 2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I appreciate it. I try to respond to comments here or sometimes via email so make sure to check back.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home